fallibilist

"I may be wrong and you may be right, and by an effort, we may get nearer to the truth." (Karl Popper)

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Like

Via Damien Mulley's blog, I found this, a message from something called the Academy of Linguistic Awareness, saying in effect that people who say "like" as punctuation in their speech are, in effect, stupid. I'm from Cork and I say like all the time like, I'm insulted like. Well not really, but I would have thought people concerned with deteriorating standards of written and spoken English would be more concerned about the corrosive effect of txt speak on those whose English skills are still developing, rather than being plain condescending about is, in effect, a rather harmless habit, and a culturally ingrained one at that. I can't help it like.

3 Comments:

Blogger Simon said...

I have no problem with txt speak. As it is mearly a more evolved form of english. leading to great efficency. However being a scientist I would say that. like.

I think they were talking about americans going. and i was like and she like. more so then the Cork.
"in the field of human developement cubeism is the most orgnaic representation of the human mindset like

Tue Jun 20, 01:48:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Kevin Breathnach said...

Like is great. At French college last year, everyone spoke French, but so many people continued to punctuate their speech with like. Qu'est-ce que c'est like? Quoi like? Je ne sais pas like!

It was interesting also to see the different ways it was used. My friend from Cork used it to be assertive, while most of the D4-types used it when not quite certain of what they were saying.

But yes, by and large, a harmless habit; I wouldn't like to see it evolving into anything but a verbal nuance though.

Tue Jun 20, 02:07:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger K. said...

Simon, I was referring to txt speak turning up outside txt messages, for example in English exams. And you may well be right that they had the American use of "she was like" instead of "she said" in mind. To me that's worse than Cork-punctuation like.

Tue Jun 20, 03:44:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home